Sunday 8 June 2008

Don't Know Mind

One of the concepts in Zen is Don't Know Mind. Powerful stuff it is, ... or isn't, ... or heck, do you even care?

But I have just realised I should maybe be applying it to the way I've been (successfully procrastinating by) trying very very very hard to learn this whole screenplay 3 act structure malarky for a fairly long time now.
Quite a revelation, and mostly thanks to Mr Martell and his insights:

He has yet another great script tip up at his site, this one is called Three Act Conflict

"The 3 Act Structure is a tool that has been around for at least 2,400 years in storytelling - and it has lasted so long because it works. But the purpose of the 3 Act Structure is not to make sure that you have a major plot point halfway down page 27, it's to make sure your story IS a story... not just a collection of events that concern a protagonist. One of the Three Greek Unities is Unity Of Event - your story has to be about ONE event rather than a series of events. Some think of the Three Acts as "beginning, middle, and end" as a way to target a single event... to make sure the story IS a story."

Now I have spent a long time trying to work out the secrets of structure, how to get it all just right, find that magic formula.

And you know what I just realised? I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING about 3 act structure. The harder I try to fathom it out, the more I tighten my grip, the further it slips through my fingers like grains of sand.

I already have everything I need to create story. I don't need to try so very darned hard to figure it out.

"Do... or do not. There is no try."

Hmm.

Thanks Yoda.

*prolific swearing*

No comments: